Total Time: Prep Time: Cooking Time:
Ingredient for Dal Chawal (Rice) Recipes:
- Toor (Arhar) Dal or pigeon beans - 1 Cup
- Onion - 1 large (Finely chopped)
- Tomatoes - 2
- Green Chillies - 2 Chopped
- Ginger & Garlic - 1/2 tsp Chopped
- Cumin seed - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Ghee - 2 cups
For Chawal (Rice)
- Rice (Normal or Basmati) - 1 cup
- Water - 2 Cups
- a pinch of salt
- We have soaked arhar dal for 1/2 hour before. Boil arhar dal in cooker and add salt, turmeric powder, water and then add tadka into it.close the cooker. After the first whistle turn the heat down and cook on medium flame for 3 - 4 minutes. Turn off the flame. Once the pressure ends open the lid and check if the dal is cooked or not and if it requires some more water. If the dal is thick in consistency then add some water for the desired flow.
- Now we will prepare masala for dal. Add 1-2 tsp ghee in pan. then first add asafoetida and cumin seeds. when the cumin seeds begin to sputter add green chili, ginger, garlic and fry till golden brown.
- After few seconds add onion to it when it's translucent add tomatoes to it.
- When the oil begins to separate add pinch of salt and red chili powder to it. Quickly stir with a spoon and pour it over the dal and close the lid. Ensure that the red chilly powder does not get burnt.
- Garnish it with the coriander leaves.
For Chawal (Rice):
- Wash rice 3-4 times with water. Combine it with water and a pinch of salt in a pressure cooker and cook for about 8-10 mins. over medium-high flame.
- Serve bhat (rice) in a plate and pour hot dal on it. Try some Indian pickle along with it.
- Serve with aaloo ki sabji.